I've been tempted to get one of my neighbors to host a small box with
~4 drives and then either rsync or zfs send backups to it over wifi;
that'd protect against fire or theft, but not major earthquakes.  I
don't think we're at risk from any other obvious disasters.  The
up-front cost would be kind of steep, but sending 50 GB of new data at
a time would be trivial, unlike most online services.  With my current
DSL link, it'd take at least a week to ship 50 GB of data offsite, and
I have ~2 TB in use.  Even if I exclude some filesystems, it'd still
be a mess.  Of course, you have to be on good terms with your
neighbors for this to work.

Scott