Kent Watsen wrote:

> Thanks Richard and Al,
>
> I'll refrain from express how disturbing this is, as I'm trying to
> help the Internet be kid-safe   ;)
>
> As for the PSU, I'd be very surprised there if that were it as it is a
> 3+1 redundant PSU that came with this system, built by a reputable
> integrator.  Also, the PSU is plugged into a high-end APC UPS, sucking
> just 25% of its capacity.  And the UPS has a dedicated 240V 30A circuit.
>
> As for the memory, it might be - even though the same integrator
> installed the SIMMs and did a 24-hour burn-in test, you never know.
> So I'm running memtest86 now, which is 12% passed so far...
>
> I'm going to try another hardware test, which is to switch around the
> backplanes my cards are plugging into.  If the same backplanes are
> failing, then I know all my AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards are OK.  Likewise, if
> the same backplane doesn't fail, then I know all my backplanes are
> OK.  Either way, I'll eliminate one potential hardware issue.

You could also try the SunVTS system tests.  They are
what we use in the factory to prove systems work before
being shipped to customers.  Located in /usr/sunvts where
READMEs, man pages, and binaries live.  There are a
zillion options, but I highly recommend the readonly disk
tests for your case.

> But I still think that it might be software related.  My first post
> was trying to point out some anomalies in how the devices are being
> named - see the highlighted parts below? - doesn't that look strange?
> - why would Solaris use different naming convention for some disks?
>           /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/pci10de,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/pci1033,[EMAIL
> PROTECTED]/pci11ab,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED],0
>           /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/pci10de,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/pci1033,[EMAIL
> PROTECTED]/pci11ab,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED],0
>           /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/pci10de,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/pci1033,[EMAIL
> PROTECTED]/pci11ab,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED],0
>           /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/pci10de,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/pci1033,[EMAIL
> PROTECTED]/pci11ab,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED],0
>           /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/pci10de,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/pci1033,[EMAIL
> PROTECTED]/pci11ab,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED],0
>           /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/pci10de,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/pci1033,[EMAIL
> PROTECTED]/pci11ab,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED],0
>           /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/pci10de,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/pci1033,[EMAIL
> PROTECTED]/pci11ab,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED],0
>           /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/pci10de,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/pci1033,[EMAIL
> PROTECTED]/pci11ab,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED],0
>           /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/pci10de,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/pci1033,[EMAIL
> PROTECTED],1/pci11ab,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED],0
>           /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/pci10de,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/pci1033,[EMAIL
> PROTECTED],1/pci11ab,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED],0
>           /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/pci10de,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/pci1033,[EMAIL
> PROTECTED],1/pci11ab,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED],0
>           /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/pci10de,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/pci1033,[EMAIL
> PROTECTED],1/pci11ab,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED],0
>

>         PS: in case you can't see it, look at the last four disks and
>         notice how the contain a spurious ",1" and also have the same
>         "@6" as the middle four disks

looks reasonable to me.  These are just PCI device identifiers, certainly
nothing to be worried about.
 -- richard