Christophe Rolland wrote:
> Hi all
> we consider using ZFS for various storages (DB, etc). Most features are
> great, especially the ease of use.
> Nevertheless, a few questions :
>
> - we are using SAN disks, so most JBOD recommandations dont apply, but I did
> not find many experiences of zpool of a few terabytes on Luns... anybody ?

Many X4500 customers have many TBytes of storage under ZFS (JBOD).

> - we cannot remove a device from a pool. so no way of correcting the
> attachment of a 200 GB LUN on a 6 TB pool on which oracle runs ... am i the
> only one worrying ?

There is no way to prevent you from running "rm -rf /" either.
In a real production environment, using best practices, you would
never type such commands -- you would always script them and
test on the test environment prior to rolling into production.

> - on a sun cluster, luns are seen on both nodes. Can we prevent mistakes like
> creating a pool on already assigned luns ? for example, veritas wants a
> "force" flag. With ZFS i can do :
> node1: zpool create X add lun1 lun2
> node2 : zpool create Y add lun1 lun2
> and then, results are unexpected, but pool X will never switch again ;-)
> resource and zone are dead.

We've had some informal discussions on how to do this.
Currently, zpool and other commands which manage disk
partitioning (eg. format) use libdiskmgt calls to determine
if the slices or partitions are in use on the local machine.
For shared storage, we won't know if another machine might
be using another slice.  For Solaris Cluster, we could write an
extended protocol for checking with other nodes in the
cluster for use.  However, even this does not work for the
general case, such as a SAN or a SAN with heterogeneous
nodes.
 -- richard