On 2/5/2008 2:45 PM, Jeremy Kister wrote:
>> 1. What do I have to do (short of replacing the seemingly good disk) to
>> get c3t8d0 back online?

I ended up applying patches 124205-05 and 118855-36.  things are much
better now, but there are still [at least] two issues remaining.

with my zpool in good condition, i yanked out c2t2d0 and c3t3d0.
see
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/2008-February/045646.html
for configuration details.

after the two spares came online and the array was resilvered, to
simulate io load i did 'cp /dev/zero /dbzpool/bigfile', i pushed c2t2d0
back in, and in another terminal typed zpool replace dbzpool c2t2d0.

this caused the whole system to lock up-- neither of my terminals were
accepting commands, i couldnt establish new ssh sessions (the sockets
opened, but couldnt get a shell after entering my passwd), and the
postgres database that was running on the machine was not answering
queries from remote hosts.

after 8 hours of this behavior, i power cycled the v40z.  when it came
back, zpool status shows:
# zpool status
   pool: dbzpool
  state: ONLINE
  scrub: none requested
config:

         NAME           STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         dbzpool        ONLINE       0     0     0
           mirror       ONLINE       0     0     0
             c2t0d0     ONLINE       0     0     0
             c3t0d0     ONLINE       0     0     0
           mirror       ONLINE       0     0     0
             c2t1d0     ONLINE       0     0     0
             c3t1d0     ONLINE       0     0     0
           mirror       ONLINE       0     0     0
             spare      ONLINE       0     0     0
               c2t2d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
               c3t15d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
             c3t2d0     ONLINE       0     0     0
           mirror       ONLINE       0     0     0
             c2t3d0     ONLINE       0     0     0
             spare      ONLINE       0     0     0
               c3t3d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
               c2t15d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           mirror       ONLINE       0     0     0
             c2t4d0     ONLINE       0     0     0
             c3t4d0     ONLINE       0     0     0
           mirror       ONLINE       0     0     0
             c2t5d0     ONLINE       0     0     0
             c3t5d0     ONLINE       0     0     0
           mirror       ONLINE       0     0     0
             c2t8d0     ONLINE       0     0     0
             c3t8d0     ONLINE       0     0     0
         spares
           c2t15d0      INUSE     currently in use
           c3t15d0      INUSE     currently in use

errors: No known data errors

==

question 1:  how do i get the spares to go back into 'spare' mode?

question 2:  why did the system lock up when i issued the zpool replace?

--

Jeremy Kister
http://jeremy.kister.net./