On Fri, 15 Feb 2008, Peter Tribble wrote:

> May not be relevant, but still worth checking - I have a 2530 (which ought
> to be that same only SAS instead of FC), and got fairly poor performance
> at first. Things improved significantly when I got the LUNs properly
> balanced across the controllers.

What do you mean by "properly balanced across the controllers"?  Are
you using the multipath support in Solaris 10 or are you relying on
ZFS to balance the I/O load?  Do some disks have more affinity for a
controller than the other?

With the 2540, there is a FC connection to each redundant controller.
The Solaris 10 multipathing presumably load-shares the I/O to each
controller.  The controllers then perform some sort of magic to get
the data to and from the SAS drives.

The controller stats are below.  I notice that it seems that
controller B has seen a bit more activity than controller A but the
firmware does not provide a controller uptime value so it is possible
that one controller was up longer than another:

Performance Statistics - A on Storage System Array-1
Timestamp:              Fri Feb 15 14:37:39 CST 2008
Total IOPS:             1098.83
Average IOPS:           355.83
Read %:                 38.28
Write %:                61.71
Total Data Transferred: 139284.41 KBps
Read:                   53844.26 KBps
Average Read:           17224.04 KBps
Peak Read:              242232.70 KBps
Written:                85440.15 KBps
Average Written:        26966.58 KBps
Peak Written:           139918.90 KBps
Average Read Size:      639.96 KB
Average Write Size:     629.94 KB
Cache Hit %:            85.32

Performance Statistics - B on Storage System Array-1
Timestamp:              Fri Feb 15 14:37:45 CST 2008
Total IOPS:             1526.69
Average IOPS:           497.32
Read %:                 34.90
Write %:                65.09
Total Data Transferred: 193594.58 KBps
Read:                   68200.00 KBps
Average Read:           24052.61 KBps
Peak Read:              339693.55 KBps
Written:                125394.58 KBps
Average Written:        37768.40 KBps
Peak Written:           183534.66 KBps
Average Read Size:      895.80 KB
Average Write Size:     883.38 KB
Cache Hit %:            75.05

If I then go to the performance stats on an individual disk, I see

Performance Statistics - Disk-08 on Storage System Array-1
Timestamp:              Fri Feb 15 14:43:36 CST 2008
Total IOPS:             196.33
Average IOPS:           72.01
Read %:                 9.65
Write %:                90.34