On Feb 16, 2008, at 06:43, Ross wrote:

> It may not be relevant, but I've seen ZFS add weird delays to
> things too.  I deleted a file to free up space, but when I checked
> no more space was reported.  A second or two later the space appeared.

This also happens on FreeBSD's UFS if you have SoftUpdates enabled. I
forget exactly how it works (see McKusick's paper), but basically
there is a slight delay in updating the meta-data on disk, which
gives the system some time to coalesce several operations in memory
before doing any disk I/O.

It makes it very easy to do an 'rm -rf' on several hundred megabytes,
which returns to the command line almost immediately; it's several
seconds before you hear any disk thrashing.