-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of John Tracy
Sent: 19 Şubat 2008 Salı 22:02
To: zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: [zfs-discuss] five megabytes per second with Microsoft iSCSI
initiator (2.06)

Hello All-
I've been creating iSCSI targets on the following two boxes:
- Sun Ultra 40 M2 with eight 10K SATA disks
- Sun x2200 M2, with two 15K RPM SAS drives
Both were running build 82

I'm creating a zfs volume, and sharing it with "zfs set shareiscsi=on
poolname/volume". I can access the iSCSI volume without any problems, but IO
is terribly slow, as in five megabytes per second sustained transfers.

I've tried creating an iSCSI target stored on a UFS filesystem, and get the
same slow IO. I've tried every level of RAID available in ZFS with the same
results.

The client machines are Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition SP2, running
Microsoft iSCSI initiator 2.06, and Windows XP SP2, running MS iSCSI
initiator 2.06. I've tried moving some of the client machines to the same
physical switch as the target servers, and get the same results. I've tried
another switch, and get the same results. I've even physically isolated the
computers from my network, and get the same results.

I'm not sure where to go from here and what to try next. The network is all
gigabit. I normally have the Solaris boxes in a 802.3ad LAG group, tying two
physical NICs together which should give me a max of 2gb/s of bandwidth (250
megabytes per second). Of course, I've tried no LAG connections with the
same results. In short, I've tried every combination of everything I know to
try, except using a different iSCSI client/server software stack (well, I
did try the 2.05 version of MS's iSCSI initiator client--same result).

Here is what I'm seeing with performance logs on the Windows side-
On any of the boxes, I see the queue length for the "hard disk" (iSCSI
target) go from under 1 to 600+, and then back to under 1 about every four
or five seconds.

On the Solaris side, I'm running "iostat -xtc 1" which shows me lots of IO
activity on the hard drives associated with my ZFS pool, and then about
three or four seconds of pause, and then lots of activity again for a second
or two, and then a lull again, and the cycle repeats as long as I'm doing
active sustained IO against the iSCSI target. The output of prstat doesn't
show any heavy processor/memory usage on the Solaris box. I'm not sure what
other monitors to run on either side to get a better picture.

Any recommendations on how to proceed? Does anybody else use the Solaris
iSCSI target software to export iSCSI targets to initiators running the MS
iSCSI initiator?

Thank you-
John