Hi Marcus,

Marcus Sundman wrote:
> Are path-names text or raw data in zfs? I.e., is it possible to know
> what the name of a file/dir/whatever is, or do I have to make more or
> less wild guesses what encoding is used where?
>
> - Marcus

I'm not sure what you are asking here.  When a zfs file system is
mounted, it looks like a normal
unix file system, i.e., a tree of files where intermediate nodes are
directories and leaf nodes may be
directories or regular files.  In other words, ls gives you the same
kind of output you would expect on
any unix file system.  As to whether a file/directory name is text or
binary, that depends
on the name used when creating the file/directory.  As far as the
meta-data used to maintain the file system tree, most of this is
compressed.  But your question makes me wonder if you have tried zfs.
If so, then I really am not sure
what you are asking.  If not, maybe you should try it out...

max