We are encountering the same issue. Essentially ZFS has trouble stopping access
to a dead drive. We are testing out Solaris/ZFS and this is has become a very
serious issue for us.

Any help /fix for this would be greatly appreciated.

Reg: cfgadm --unconfigure ...

The recommendation seems to be to stop access to the drive before using the
cfgadm command. We cannot do that because that would mean shutting down the
entire filesytem just for a failed hard drive. I think that defeats the purpose
of raidz2.

Does the above command work when zfs is still trying to access the disk?

Thanks