>> 2. in a raidz do all the disks have to be the same size?

Disks don't have to be the same size, but only as much space will be
used
on the larger disks will be used as is available on the smallest disk.
In
other words, there's no benefit to be gained from this approach.

> Related question:
> Does a raidz have to be either only full disks or only slices, or can
> it be mixed? E.g., can you do a 3-way raidz with 2 complete disks and
> one slice (of equal size as the disks) on a 3rd, larger, disk?

Sure. One could do this, but it's kind of a hack. I imagine you'd like
to do something like match a disk of size N with another disk of size 2N
and use RAID-Z to turn them into a single vdev. At that point it's
probably a better idea to build a striped vdev and use ditto blocks to
do
your data redundancy by setting copies=2.

Adam

--
Adam Leventhal, Fishworks                        http://blogs.sun.com/ahl