Hi Richard,
Richard Elling wrote:
> Occasionally the topic arises about what to do when a file is
> corrupted.  ZFS will tell you about it, but what then?  Usually
> the conversation then degenerates into how some people can
> tolerate broken mp3 files or whatever.
>
> Well, the other day I found a corrupted file which gave me an
> opportunity to test a little hypothesis on how to recover what
> you can recover.  Details are in my blog:
>     http://blogs.sun.com/relling/entry/holy_smokes_a_holey_file
>
> There is an opportunity here, for someone with some spare time,
> to come up with a more clever solution than my dd script.  hint...
> hint...
>  -- richard

Would it help if you had the block number (i.e., disk location) of the
block that is corrupted?
zdb might tell you this.  I have a way to do it, I think, but don't want
to test it because I don't
want to corrupt a file on purpose.  I am writing a paper (actually, done
with first draft) that allows you
to find the data for a given file on the raw disk (i.e., file system is
not mounted).  I plan on presenting
this at osdevcon in Prague in June.  I am looking for reviewers.  If you
are interested, please send
me email and I'll send you a copy.
The method I use is quite a bit more complex than using dd.  It involves
using a modified
zdb and modified mdb together.  I think it would work for this type of
problem.  (Then again, if zfs
completely wipes out the corrupted block, it won't help).  If I have
time, I'll try corrupting a few bits
in a file and see if my method works to get the corrupted block.

thanks,
max