Sachin Palav wrote:
> Friends,
> I have recently built a file server on x2200 with solaris x86 having zfs
> (version4) and running NFS version2 & samba.
>
> the AIX 5.2 & AIX 5.2 client give error while running command "cp -R
> <zfs_nfs_mount_source> <zfs_nfs_mount_desticantion> as below:
> cp: 0653-440 directory/1: name too long.
> cp: 0653-438 cannot read directory directory/1.
>  and the cp core dumps in AIX.
>
> Can someone please help

This is almost certainly an instance of 6538383 in our bug database.
scandir() is indeed broken on AIX, this is not a ZFS bug.  If you have
IBM support, you need to file something called a PMR with them to get
the ball rolling on a fix.  It's possible someone at Sun opened one
already, I'm not certain.

The workaround is to use a program that doesn't rely on scandir() to do
the copying, tar or cpio as previously mentioned.  Adding the -p option
to cp appeared to be a workaround at one point, but that was a red
herring, the failure with cp can be intermittent as it involves
scandir() scribbling somewhat randomly over memory.

-tim