Hi...

System Config:
                 2 Intel 3 Ghz 5160 dual-core cpu's
                 10 SATA 750 GB disks running as a ZFS RAIDZ2 pool
                 8 GB Memory
                 SunOS 5.11 snv_79a on a separate UFS mirror
                 ~150 Read I/O's/second, ~300 Write I/O's/second
                    on the ZFS pool when busy
                 ARC size ~2 GB
                 No separate ARC or ZIL cache

I have a couple of large directories, ~58,000 files, where one contains all
regular files while the other contains all links pointing back to the regular
files.  On a busy ZFS filesystem, when I do an "ls -lat" on the regular file
directory, it returns within a few minutes or less, whereas when I do the same
thing on the directory of links, it can take from 15 minutes to over an hour.
When I stop our data collection application, the regular files then list within
a few seconds and the links list in, perhaps, 60 seconds.  Is there a
difference in what ls has to do when listing links versus listing regular files
in ZFS that would cause a slowdown?

                            Thanks...

                              Art

Arthur A. Person
Research Assistant, System Administrator
Penn State Department of Meteorology
email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED], phone:  814-863-1563