On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 2:12 PM, Anna Langley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  I've just joined this list, and am trying to understand the state of
>  play with using free backup solutions for ZFS, specifically on a Sun
>  x4500.
>  Does anyone here have experience of this with multi-TB filesystems and
>  any of these solutions that they'd be willing to share with me please?

My experience so far is that anything past a terabyte and 10 million files,
and any backup software struggles.

(I've largely been involved with commercial solutions, as we already have them.
They struggle as well.)

Generally, handling data volumes on this scale seems to require some way
of partitioning it into more easily digestible chunks. Either into separate
filesystems (zfs makes this easy) or, if that isn't possible, to structure the
data on a large filesystem into some sort of hierarchy so that it has top-level
directories that break it up into smaller chunks.

(Some sort of hashing scheme appears to be indicated. Unfortunately our
applications fall into two classes: everything in one huge directory,
or a hashing
scheme that results in many thousands of top-level directories.)

--
-Peter Tribble