Simon Breden wrote:
> I installed b87 today and then I made a copy of a directory.
>
> To my surprise, a few seconds later the drive access light went out. Upon
> inspection, only a couple of the files had been copied, and the cp command
> appeared to have hung.
>
> I did: cp -r dir1 dir2
>
> ps -el showed that cp was still running but not taking much, if any,
> processor time. Nothing changed after a minute or so, so I tried to kill the
> cp process with -15, then a -9. Even that failed.

This is usually a symptom of broken hardware.  The reason kill -9
didn't work is because the process is waiting for the I/O to complete
and it hasn't completed yet.  When the I/O completes or times out,
then the process will start, get the kill signal and die. The timeout
may be on the order of 3-5 minutes for simple disks, though it may
be longer for some configurations.  Take a look at "fmdump -e"
to see if there are errors being logged.

[note to self: file RFE for the system log viewer to grab fmdump output]
 -- richard