Chris Siebenmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|  Speaking as a sysadmin (and a Sun customer), why on earth would I have
| to provision 8 GB+ of RAM on my NFS fileservers? I would much rather
| have that memory in the NFS client machines, where it can actually be
| put to work by user programs.
|
| (If I have decently provisioned NFS client machines, I don't expect much
| from the NFS fileserver's cache. Given that the clients have caches too,
| I believe that the server's cache will mostly be hit for things that the
| clients cannot cache because of NFS semantics, like NFS GETATTR requests
| for revalidation and the like.)

That's certainly true for the NFS part of the NFS fileserver, but to get
the ZFS feature-set, you trade off cycles and memory.  If we investigate
this a bit, we should be able to figure out a rule of thumb for how
little memory we need for an NFS->home-directories workload without
cutting into performance.

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown            | Always do right. This will gratify
Sun Microsystems, Toronto      | some people and astonish the rest