Thanks Max,

I have not been able to find any new firmware for these drives (Western Digital
WD7500AAKS) so I have sent an email to Western Digital to enquire about
firmware updates. I'll see what they reply with, but I'm not too hopeful.

In the meantime I decided to copy the files one at a time until the problem
re-occurred. I have found the file that failed, but of course, it's probably
likely that it will not be the same file being copied each time it fails, so
it's probably a pointless task, but I was just curious. I will embark on
iteration 2 now...

Simon