This is really strange.  Check out this error:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# zfs get sharesmb tank/software tank/music
NAME           PROPERTY  VALUE          SOURCE
tank/music     sharesmb  off            default
tank/software  sharesmb  off            default

(same begin state for both filesystems)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# zfs set sharesmb=name=music tank/music
(works fine, and clients can mount it)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# zfs set sharesmb=name=software tank/software
cannot share 'tank/software': smb add share failed

.... fails.  WTF?

NFS sharing tank/software also fails, but I don't see any errors on
the server side.  You have to try mounting it before you see any
failures there.

My zpool and the various zfs filesystems were created with sxce b76.
The problem seemed to crop up while running b82.  At that point I did
zpool upgrade -a and zfs upgrade -a to see if that helped (... since
apparently cifs sharing isn't actually supposed to work with zfs v2!).
 It did not.  I've now upgraded to b87, and I'm seeing the exact same
problem.

I'm not manually configuring things with sharemgr.  I did at one time,
but I decided to remove those settings and try to use zfs sharesmb and
sharenfs directly.  Maybe this is where the problem started?

What's going on here?  It smells to me like some unpleasant voodoo. :(

- Ben