On Thu, 8 May 2008, Peter Tribble wrote:

> As a regular fileserver, yes - random reads of small files on raidz isn't
> too hot...

There that would pretty much be our usage scenario; home directories and
group project directories.

> I just disable NCQ and have done with it.

Doesn't that result in a performance decrease? (I suppose not as much as
the hanging IO issue, but still less than ideal?).

> What I normally do in these cases is to create a separate pool
> and use it for something else useful.

I'm not sure what else I would do with almost a terabyte of storage, the
management overhead of dealing with it outside of the other storage would
perhaps cost more than just ignoring it.

> My only concern here would be how hard it would be to delete the
> snapshots. With that cycle, you're deleting 6000 snapshots a day, and
> while snapshot creation is "free", my experience is that snapshot
> deletion is not.

I did some testing with up to 10,000 filesystems,  but with minimal
activity between snapshots will probably wasn't a valid usage scenario to
verify the resource requirements.

Thanks...

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]