Brian Hechinger wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 02:32:34PM -0600, Lori Alt wrote:
>
>> Install of a zfs root can only be done with the tty-based installer
>> or with Jumpstart.  I will make sure that instructions for both
>> are made available by the time that SXDE build 90 is
>> released.
>>

> Will the tty or jumpstart based installed be able to do an Upgrade install
> over an older ZFS Root system?

Sadly, no.  You can bfu to the Solaris build 88
bits, but it's probably best to reinstall with the new
installer when it becomes available.

>> For an attractive, easy-to-use installer that is designed from
>> the outset to install systems with zfs root pools, we'll all
>> have to wait for Caiman:
>>

> We don't need no stinkin' attractive, easy-to-use installers. ;)
>

>> http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/caiman/
>>

> Is the tty version going to stick around?  Or will Caiman have a tty
> version?

The tty installer you will see in Build 90 will be
going away at some point.  It's clunky and written
for the days when a 400 MB disk was considered
really big.  It's very ufs-centric and didn't adapt
well to the idea of storage pools.

I can't say for sure what Caiman will provide but I notice
this among its goals, as specified on its OpenSolaris
community web page:

*  Updated and simplified graphical and text user interfaces
    which carry Sun's current branding

- Lori