Brandon High wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 6:57 PM, Tim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> USED hardware is your friend :)  He wasn't quoting new prices.
>>

> Not really an apples-to-apples comparison then, is it? Cruising eBay
> for parts isn't my idea of reproducible or supportable.
>
> Sure, an older server could possibly fall into my car's trunk as I
> leave work one day, but that's not something I'd consider either.
>
> -B

That said, much of what is available on eBay and from computer
"recyclers" really isn't USED.  It's surplus inventory, overstock, etc.
Much of it still in the OEM or retail box.

Heck, I know a bunch of folks selling BRAND_NEW  IBM e326m machines,
complete with 1-year IBM factory warranty, still-in-the-box, for $400
(1 Opteron 280/1GB RAM/1U rackmount chassis).   It takes a bit of
hunting, but you'll find that rummaging around the Internet can still
get you new parts for obsolete machines, at cut-rate pricing.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support