I checked - this system has a UFS root. When installed as snv_84 and then LU'd
to snv_89, and when I fiddled with these packages from various other releases,
it had the stacktrace instead of the ZFS admin GUI (or the well-known
"smcwebserver restart" effect for the older packages).

This system was mostly End-User cluster, handpicked away a few non-needed
packages; usually our server systems are stripped way more (Net-Core plus a few
packages for zone/zfs support). Perhaps I'm missing a bit from some Java or
library dependencies?

Were your UFS and ZFS setups different in packaging?