On Jun 5, 2008, at 5:09 AM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, Henrik Johansson wrote:
>>
>> Anyone knows what the deal with /export/home is? I though /home was
>> the default home directory in Solaris?
>
> It seems that they expect you to use the automounter to mount it.
> That allows the same automount map to be used for all systems.  It
> has been that way as long as I can remember.

Yes, as i wrote earlier, i was a bit confused in all my excitement and
thew away 10 years of assumptions that are still true today  ;)

>> ( I put up some  screenshots of the installation process  for those
>> interested: http://sparcv9.blogspot.com )
>
> Did you actually choose to keep / and /var combined?  Is there any
> reason to do that with a ZFS root since both are sharing the same
> pool and so there is no longer any disk space advantage?  If / and /
> var are not combined can they have different assigned quotas without
> one inheriting limits from the other?

I dint not spend any time thinking about this, all i have done so far
is installation on my workstation and a test-machines. In a production
environment i would spend some time thinking about this, but we are at
least half a year away from that. As already disused it might be
useful for turning on compression on log-files etc. I usually keep /
and /var together, but with ZFS you no longer have the issues with
sizing the slices...

Regards
Henrik