On Jun 11, 2008, at 1:16 AM, Al Hopper wrote:
> But... if you look
> broadly at the current SSD product offerings, you see: a) lower than
> expected performance - particularly in regard to write IOPS (I/O Ops
> per Second)

True. Flash is quite asymmetric in its performance characteristics.
That said, the L2ARC has been specially designed to play well with the
natural strengths and weaknesses of flash.

> and b) warranty periods that are typically 1 year - with
> the (currently rare) exception of products that are offered with a 5
> year warranty.

You'll see a new class of SSDs -- eSSDs -- designed for the enterprise
with longer warranties and more write/erase cycles. Further, ZFS will
do its part by not killing the write/erase cycles of the L2ARC by
constantly streaming as fast as possible. You should see lifetimes in
the 3-5 year range on typical flash.

> Obviously, for SSD products to live up to the current marketing hype,
> they need to deliver superior performance and *reliability*.
> Everyone I know *wants* one or more SSD devices - but they also have
> the expectation that those devices will come with a warranty at least
> equivalent to current hard disk drives (3 or 5 years).

I don't disagree entirely, but as a cache device flash actually can be
fairly unreliable and we'll pick it up in ZFS.

> So ... I'm interested in learning from anyone on this list, and, in
> particular, from Team ZFS, what the reality is regarding SSD
> reliability.  Obviously Sun employees are not going to compromise
> their employment and divulge upcoming product specific data - but
> there must be *some* data (white papers etc) in the public domain that
> would provide some relevant technical data??

A typical high-end SSD can sustain 100k write/erase cycles so you can
do some simple math to see that a 128GB device written to at a rate of
150M/s will last nearly 3 years. Again, note that unreliable devices
will result in a performance degradation when you fail a checksum in
the L2ARC, but the data will still be valid out of the main storage
pool.

You're going to see much more on this in the next few months. I made a
post to my blog that probably won't answer your questions directly, but
may help inform you about what we have in mind.

   http://blogs.sun.com/ahl/entry/flash_hybrid_pools_and_future

Adam

--
Adam Leventhal, Fishworks                        http://blogs.sun.com/ahl