I wonder if one couldln't reduce (but probably not eliminate) the likelihood
of this sort of situation by setting refreservation significantly lower than
reservation?

Along those lines, I don't see any property that would restrict the number
of concurrent snapshots of a dataset :-(   I think that would be real handy,
along with one that would say whether to refuse another when the limit was
reached, or to automatically delete the oldest snapshot.  Yes, one can script
the rotation of snapshots, but it might be nice to just make it policy for a
given dataset instead, particularly together with delegated snapshot permission
(provided that that didn't also delegate the ability to change the maximum
number of allowed snapshots).