    jb> If you say 'zpool online <pool> <disk>' that should tell ZFS
    jb> that the disk is healthy again and automatically kick off a
    jb> resilver.

    jb> Of course, that should have happened automatically.

with b71 I find that it does sometimes happen automatically, but the
resilver isn't enough to avoid checksum errors later.  Only a
manually-requested scrub will stop any more checksum errors from
accumulating.

Also, if I reboot before one of these auto-resilvers finishes, or plug
in the component that flapped while powered down, the auto-resilver
never resumes.

    >> While one vdev was resilvering at 22% (HD replacement), the
    >> original disk went away

so if I understand you, it happened like this:

    #1                #2

  online             online
t online             UNPLUG
i online             UNPLUG        <-- filesystem writes
m online             UNPLUG        <-- filesystem writes
e online             online
| online resilver -> online
v UNPLUG    xxx      online        --> fs reads allowed?  how?
  online             online        why no resilvering?

It seems to me like DTRT after #1 is unplugged is to take the whole
pool UNAVAIL until the original disk #1 comes back.  When the original
disk #1 drops off, the only available component left is the #2
component that flapped earlier and is being resilvered, so #2 is
out-of-date and should be ignored.  but I'm pretty sure ZFS doesn't
work that way, right?

What does it do?  Will it serve incorrect, old data?  Will it somehow
return I/O errors for data that has changed on #1 and not been
resilvered onto #2 yet?