On Jul 1, 2008, at 10:55 AM, Miles Nordin wrote:

> I don't think it's overrated at all.  People all around me are using
> this dynamic_pager right now, and they just reboot when they see too
> many pinwheels.  If they are ``quite happy,'' it's not with their
> pager.

I often exist in a sea of mac users, and I've never seen them reboot
other than after the periodic Apple Updates. Killing firefox every
couple of days, or after visiting certain demented sites is not
uncommon and is probably a good idea.

> They see demand as capacity rather than temperature but...the machine
> does need to run out of memory eventually.  Don't drink the
> dynamic_pager futuristic kool-aid.  It's broken, both in theory and in
> the day-to-day experience of the Mac users around me.

I've got macs with uptimes of months ... admittedly not in the same
territory as my old SunOS or Solaris boxes, but Apple has seldom
resisted the temptation to drop a security update or a quicktime
update for longer.

--
Keith H. Bierman   [EMAIL PROTECTED]      | AIM kbiermank
5430 Nassau Circle East                  |