On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Moore, Joe wrote:

> Bob Friesenhahn
>> I expect that Sun is realizing that it is already undercutting much
>> of the rest of its product line.  These minor updates would allow
>> the X4540 to compete against much more expensive StorageTek SAN
>> hardware.
>
> Assuming, of course that the requirements for the more expensive SAN
> hardware don't include, for example, surviving a controller or
> motherboard failure (or gracefully a RAM chip failure) without requiring
> an extensive downtime for replacement, or other extended downtime
> because there's only 1 set of chips that can talk to those disks.

I am totally with you here since today I can not access my storage
pool due to server motherboard failure and I don't know when Sun will
successfully fix it.  Since I use an external RAID array for my file
server, there would not be so much hardship except that I do not have
a spare file server available.

Bob