On July 14, 2008 7:49:58 PM -0500 Bob Friesenhahn
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This seems like a bunch of hog-wash to me.  Any time you see even a
> single statement which is incorrect, it is best to ignore that forum
> poster entirely and if no one corrects him, then ignore the entire forum.

I don't know what "forums" you're on, but in my experience that would
eliminate approximately 100% of them.

> For example, from what I have read, RAID-Z does not always write a full
> stripe.  While RAID-Z uses parity similar to RAID-5 and writes a stripe
> across disks, it does not need to write across all the disks like RAID-5
> does.  If you had 10 disks, it might decide to stripe across 6 disks per
> block write.

Which is a "full stripe" in that the parity calculation covers the
entire write.

>> It sounds like they're talking more about traditional hardware RAID
>> but is this also true for ZFS?  Right now I've got four 750GB drives
>> that I'm planning to use in a raid-z 3+1 array.  Will I get markedly
>> better performance with 5 drives (2^2+1) or 6 drives 2*(2^1+1)
>> because the parity calculations are more efficient across N^2
>> drives?
>
> With ZFS and modern CPUs, the parity calculation is surely in the noise
> to the point of being unmeasurable.

I would agree with that.  The parity calculation has *never* been a
factor in and of itself.  The problem is having to read the rest of
the stripe and then having to wait for a disk revolution before writing.

-frank