In one of my prior experiments, I included the names of the snapshots I
created in a plain text file.

I used this file, and not the zfs list output to determine which
snapshots I was going to remove when it came time.

I don't even remember *why* I did that in the first place, but it
certainly made things easier when it came time to clean up a whole bunch
of stuff...

(And was not impacted by zfs list being non-snappy...)

The snapshot naming scheme meant that it was dead easy to work out which
to remove / keep...

Right now, I don't have a system (that box was killed in a dreadful xen
experiment :) so I'll be watching this thread with renewed interest to
see who else is doing what...

Nathan.