> -Peter Tribble wrote:

>> On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 8:48 AM, Rob Clark wrote:
>> I have eight 10GB drives.
>> I have 6 remaining 10 GB drives and I desire to
>> "raid" 3 of them and "mirror" them to the other 3 to
>> give me raid security and integrity with mirrored
>> drive performance. I then want to move my "/export"
>> directory to the new drive.

> You can't do that. You can't layer raidz and mirroring.
> You'll either have to use raidz for the lot, or just use mirroring:
> zpool create temparray mirror c1t2d0 c1t4d0 mirror c1t5d0 c1t3d0 mirror
> c1t6d0 c1t8d0
> -Peter Tribble

Solaris may not allow me to do that but the concept is not unheard of:

Quoting:
Proceedings of the Third USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies
http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/fast04/tech/corbett/corbett.pdf

"Mirrored RAID-4 and RAID-5 protect against higher order failures [4]. However,
the efficiency of the array as measured by its data capacity divided by its
total disk space is reduced."

[4] Qin Xin, E. Miller, T. Schwarz, D. Long, S. Brandt, W. Litwin, ”Reliability
mechanisms for very large storage systems”, 20th IEEE/11th NASA Boddard
Conference on Mass Storage Systems and Technologies, San Diego, CA, pgs.
146-156, Apr. 2003.

Rob