> Welcome to font hell :-(.  For many years, Sun
> documentation was written
> in the Palatino font, which is (or was?) not freely
> available. I believe

Umm No. PDF supports font embedding. This is how so many PDFs are out there
(company brochures, fliers etc) with commercial fonts and they look just right.
I checked one of the PDFs and it does have all the fonts (including platino and
helvetica) embedded as Type 1 font.

 It may have something to do with Type1 font or something else that FrameMaker
is generating that evince is choking on because the PDFs look fine with Adobe
Reader 8 (under wine-1.1), Foxit Reader (wine 1.1) & xpdf (3.02 from
blastwave). Even ghostscript renders them ok.