On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Tharindu Rukshan Bamunuarachchi wrote:

> I have tried your pdf but did not get good latency numbers even after array
> tuning...

Right.  And since I observed only slightly less optimal performance
from a mirror pair of USB drives it seems that your requirement is not
challenging at all for the storage hardware.  USB does not offer very
much throughput.  A $200 portable disk drive is able to almost match a
$23K drive array for this application.

I did test your application with output to /dev/null and /tmp (memory
based) and it did report consistently tiny numbers in that case.

It seems likely that writes to ZFS encounter a "hickup" every so often
in the write system call.

There is still the possibility that a bug in your application is
causing the "hickup" in the write timings.

Bob