On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 07:24, Vanja <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I was just wondering what would happen in a raidz array if one of the drives
> failed? I imagine everything would work fine for reading, but will I be able
> to write to the array still?
Yes.

> If I can write, does that mean that replacing the dead drive with a working
> one will catch up the new drive? I think this is where resilvering comes in,
> how long would it take to 'catch up'?
It depends on how much data is on the drives; ZFS only resilvers as
much data is present on disk, not necessarily the whole disk.

> And finally, if this is the case, is it possible to make an array with 3
> drives, and then add the mirror later? I imagine this is extremely similar to
> the previous situation.
Do you mean "add the parity later"?  If so, this might be possible,
but it's not recommended.  Back up your data elsewhere and then
restore it onto the array.  You need a backup anyways, so now is a
perfect time to make one.

Will