| Syslog is funny in that it does a lot of open/write/close cycles so
| that rotate can work trivially.

 I don't know of any version of syslog that does this (certainly Solaris
10 U5 syslog does not). The traditional syslog(d) performance issue
is that it fsync()'s after writing each log message, in an attempt to
maximize the chances that the log message will make it to disk and
survive a system crash, power outage, etc.

(Some versions of syslog let you turn this off for specific log files,
which is very useful for high volume, low importance ones.)

 I've heard that at one point, NFS + ZFS was known to have performance
issues with fsync()-heavy workloads. I don't know if that's still true
today (in either Solaris 10U5 or current OpenSolaris builds), or if all
of the issues have been fixed.

        - cks