Hi there,

I am currently evaluating OpenSolaris as a replacement for my linux
installations. I installed it as a xen domU, so there is a remote chance, that
my observations are caused by xen.

First, my understanding of "zpool [i]scrub[/i]" is "Ok, go ahead, and rewrite
[b]each block of each device[/b] of the zpool".

Whereas "[i]resilvering[/i]" means "Make sure, that all [b]used blocks[/b] of
the pool are in good health".

Please correct me, if I am wrong.

To test, I created a zpool named tank, assigning it a whole 300GB physical SATA
disc as backend.

I observed, that scrubbing my 300GB tank takes virtually no time, when tank is
empty. Using space of tank (say, by a 20 GB copy of /dev/zero) causes scrubbing
to take much longer.

This is clearly not, what I want (now). I want zfs to check the whole device
for errors, not just the few bytes that happen to sit there. Is this a bug, a
misunderstanding or a terrible case of RTFM?

Another irrirating observation was, that scrubbing starts, then stalls for a
minute or so at 0.4 something percent  and then continues.

Any ideas / pointers / ... ?

Jens

---

bash-3.2# zpool status tank
  pool: tank
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: scrub completed after 0h0m with 0 errors on Sun Aug  3 18:46:51 2008
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank        ONLINE       0     0     0
          c4d1      ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

bash-3.2# uname -X
System = SunOS
Node = opensolaris
Release = 5.11
KernelID = snv_94
Machine = i86pc
BusType = <unknown>
Serial = <unknown>
Users = <unknown>
OEM# = 0
Origin# = 1
NumCPU = 1

bash-3.2# cat /etc/release
                          OpenSolaris 2008.11 snv_94 X86
           Copyright 2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
                        Use is subject to license terms.
                             Assembled 17 July 2008