On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 6:03 PM, Miles Nordin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>    bh> It should support any AM2/AM2+ dual-core Opteron like the
>    bh> 1220, etc.  as well as the quad-core stuff.
>
> Are you inferring that based on the name/shape of the socket?  I don't
> think that's a fair assumption.

I'm basing it on experience, actually. The 165 was a popular for
Socket 939 systems since it cost less than the Athlon at the same
clock. AMD realized their mistake and now charges more for the Opteron
at equal clocks across the board.

> The boards I looked at, if you go to the taiwanese manufacturer's web
> site, explicitly list the CPU's they support, and for all the boards I
> looked at, it's either phenom or opteron, not both---a strict divide
> between desktop and server.  Also the server boards all need
> registered memory, and the desktops all need unregistered.

That's based more on the target market for the board. It's mainly just
marketing, though some manufacturers may not add the server CPUIDs to
the desktop BIOS.

Remember that the memory controller is in the CPU, so it really
doesn't matter what the board says. (In fact, the very first "desktop"
Athlon 64 chips were socket 940 and required registered memory.) The
current 1-way Opterons are just binned Athlons.

If you look at the actual CPU specs
(http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/23932.pdf)
for the AM2 Opterons it reads:
- 144-bit DDR2 SDRAM controller operating at up to 333 MHz
- Supports up to four unbuffered DIMMs
- ECC checking with double-bit detect and single-bit correct

The Socket F chips (2xxx and 8xxx series) require registered memory.

> The other is requirement for workaround of the BA/B2 stepping TLB bug.

Any BIOS that can recognize an Phenom / 3rd-gen Opteron will implement
this for the B2 stepping.

> or something different, but many motherboards needed a BIOS update to
> boot with a Barcelona chip.  Customers were told to install an older
> AMD chip, upgrade the BIOS, then install the new chip.  I would not

The BIOS needs to know about the chip. The same thing happened on the
Intel side when the 65nm Core 2 came out (E6xxx and Q6xxx), and again
with the 45nm Core 2 (E8xxx and Q8xxx).

-B

--
Brandon High [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The good is the enemy of the best." - Nietzsche