> so finally, I gathered up some courage and
> "installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2
> /dev/rdsk/c2d0s0" seemed to write out what I assume
> is a new MBR.

Not the MBR - the stage1 and 2 files are written to the boot area of the
Solaris FDISK partition.

> tried to also installgrub on the other
> disk in the mirror c3d0 and failed over several
> permuations"cannot open/stat /dev/rdsk/c3d0s2" was
> the error msg.

This is because installgrub needs the "overlap" slice to be present as slice 2
for some reason. The overlap slice, also called the "backup" slice, covers the
whole of the Solaris FDISK partition. If you don't have one on your second
disk, just create one.

> however a reboot from dsk/c2dos0 gave me a healthy
> and unchanged grub stage2 menu and functioning system
> again . whew
>
> Although I cannot prove causality here, I still think
> that the zpool upgrade ver.10 -> ver.11 borked the
> MBR. indeed, probably the stage2 sectors, i guess.

No - upgrading a ZFS pool doesn't touch the MBR or the stage2. The problem is
that the grub ZFS filesystem reader needs updated to understand the version 11
pool. This doesn't (yet) happen automatically.

> I also seem to also only have single MBR between the
>  two disks in the mirror. is this normal?

Not really normal, but at present manually creating a ZFS boot mirror in this
way does not set the 2nd disk up correctly, as you've discovered. To write a
new Solaris grub MBR to the second disk, do this:

installgrub -m /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c3d0s0

The -m flag tells installgrub to put the grub stage1 into the MBR.

Cheers

Andrew.