Victor Latushkin wrote:
> Hi Tom and all,
>
> Tom Bird wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Have a problem with a ZFS on a single device, this device is 48 1T SATA
>> drives presented as a 42T LUN via hardware RAID 6 on a SAS bus which had
>> a ZFS on it as a single device.
>>
>> There was a problem with the SAS bus which caused various errors
>> including the inevitable kernel panic, the thing came back up with 3 out
>> of 4 zfs mounted.
>
> It would be nice to see a panic stack.

I'm afraid I don't have that but now have an open connection to the
terminal server logging everything in case it should happen again.

>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# zpool import -f content
>> cannot import 'content': I/O error
>
> As long as it does not panic and just returns I/O error which is rather
> generic, you may try to dig a little bit deeper with DTrace to have a
> chance to see where this I/O error is generated first, e.g. something
> like this with the attached dtrace script:
>
> dtrace -s /path/to/script -c "zpool import -f content"

dtrace output was 6MB, a bit rude to post to the list so I've uploaded
it here: http://picard.portfast.net/~tom/import.txt

> It is also interesting what impact SAS bus problem had on the storage
> controller. Btw, what is storage controller in question here?

The controller is an LSI Logic PCI express with 2 external SAS ports
which runs to an eonstor 2u 12 disk RAID chassis with 3 JBOD packs daisy
chained from that.  It seems I can't run the JBODs directly to the SAS
controller when using SATA drives (may be a different story with proper
SAS) and the RAID box has no JBOD mode so the redundancy has to stay in
the box and can't be transferred to ZFS.  The entire faulted array reads
cleanly at /dev/rdsk level into /dev/null.

There are 4 such arrays connected to the server via two SAS cards with a
ZFS on each one, the supplied internal SAS card and an ixgb NIC are the
only other cards installed.  System boots from the standard internal disks.

>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# uname -a
>> SunOS cs3.kw 5.10 Generic_127127-11 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200
>
> Btw, have you considered opening support call for this issue?

Would have thought that unless they have a secret zfsck utility there's
probably not much they can do.  It's not a Sun disk array or Sun branded
SAS card.

thanks
--
Tom