I read that that should be case but did not see such in practice.  I
created one volume without the recsize setting and one with.  Than
copied the same data to both (lots of small files).  The 'du' report
on the one without the recsize was significantly bigger than the
one where I made it and in fact filled up before the other volume.

Paul Raines                email: raines at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
MGH/MIT/HMS Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
149 (2301) 13th Street     Charlestown, MA 02129            USA