On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 5:17 PM, Bob Friesenhahn <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, Al Hopper wrote:
>
> > It looks like Intel has a huge hit (product) on its hands with the
> > latest SSD product announcements.  No pricing yet ... but the specs
> > will push computer system IO bandwidth performance to numbers only
> > possible today with extremely expensive RAM based disk subsystems.
> >
> > SSDs + ZFS - a marriage made in (computer) heaven!
>
> Where's the beef?
>
> I sense a lot of smoke and mirrors here, similar to Intel's recent CPU
> "announcements" which don't even reveal the number of cores.  No
> prices and funny numbers that the writers of technical articles can't
> seem to get straight.
>
> Obviously these are a significant improvement for laptop drives but
> how many laptop users have a need for 11,000 IOPs and 170MB/s?  It
> seems to me that most laptops suffer from insufficent RAM and
> low-power components which don't deliver much performance.  The CPUs
> which come in laptops are not going to be able to process 170MB/s.
>
> What about the dual-ported SAS models for enterprise use?
>
> Bob

I don't know about that.  I just went from an SSD back to a SATA drive
because the SSD started failing in less than a month (I'm having troubles
believing this great write-leveling they talk about is working
properly...).  And the SATA drive is dog slow in comparison.  The biggest
issue is seek times.  Opening apps/directories there is a VERY noticeable
difference from the SSD to this drive.

The user experience is drastically improved with the SSD imho.  Of course,
the fact that it started giving me i/o errors after just 3 weeks means it's
going to be RMA'd and won't find a home back in my laptop anytime soon.

This was one of the 64GB OCZ Core drives for reference.

--Tim