> Why would the customer need to use raidz or zfs
> mirroring if the array
> is doing it for them?  As someone else posted,
> metadata is already
> redundant by default and doesn't consume a ton of
> space.

Because arrays & drives can suffer silent errors in the data that are not found
until too late.  My zpool scrubs occasionally find & FIX errors that none of
the array or RAID-5 stuff caught.

This problem only gets more likely as our pools grow in size.  If the user is
CHEAP and doesn't care about their data that much then sure, then run without
ZFS redundancy.   The metadata redundancy should at least ensure your pool is
online immediately and that bad files are at least flagged during a scrub so
you know which ones need to be regenerated or retrieved from tape.