Hi,

One of the thing you could have done to continue the resilver is "zpool clear"
This would have let you continue to replace the drive you pulled out. Once that
was done you could have them figured out what was wrong with the second faulty
drive.

The second drive only had check sum errors, ZFS was doing it job, the data on
the was usable.  zpool clear would have keeped the pool online, all be it with
lots of complaints.

I have had to use  zpool clear multiple times on one of my zpools after a PSU
failure took out a HDD and damaged another. Mobo and ram died too :(
The damaged drive racked up thousands and thousands of errors while i replaced
the dead drive. in the end i only lost one small file.

Am no expert, but thats how I got round a similar problem.