For files smaller than the default (128K) or the user-defined value, the
recordsize will be the smallest power of two between 512 bytes and the
appropriate upper limit. For anything above the value, it's the defined
recordsize for every block in the file. Variable recordsize is only for
single block files. There's no tail packing using variable recordsize in
ZFS (yet?).

Regards,
-mg