On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Carson Gaspar wrote:

> B) The driver does not detect the removal. Commands must time out before
> a problem is detected. Due to driver layering, timeouts increase
> rapidly, causig te OS to "hang" for unreasonable periods of time.
>
> We really need to fix (B). It seems the "easy" fixes are:
>
> - Configure faster timeouts and fewer retries on redundant devices,

I don't think that any of these "easy" fixes are wise.  Any fix based
on timeouts is going to cause problems with devices mysteriously
timing out and being resilvered.

Device drivers should know the expected behavior of the device and act
appropriately. For example, if the device is in a powered-down state,
then the device driver can expect that it will take at least 30
seconds for the device to return after being requested to power-up but
that some weak devices might take a minute.  As far as device drivers
go, I expect that IDE device drivers are at the very bottom of the
feeding chain in Solaris since Solaris is optimized for enterprise
hardware.

Since OpenSolaris is open source, perhaps some brave soul can
investigate the issues with the IDE device driver and send a patch.

Bob