Hey Tim,

I'll admit I just quoted the blog without checking, I seem to remember the
sales rep I spoke to recommending putting aside 20-50% of my disk for
snapshots.  Compared to ZFS where I don't need to reserve any space it feels
very old fashioned.  With ZFS, snapshots just take up as much space as I want
them to.

The problem though for our usage with NetApp was that we actually couldn't
reserve enough space for snapshots.  50% of the pool was their maximum, and
we're interested in running ten years worth of snapshots here, which could see
us with a pool with just 10% of live data and 90% of the space taken up by
snapshots.  The NetApp approach was just too restrictive.

Ross