I have a strange problem involving changes in large file on a mirrored
zpool in
Open solaris snv96.
We use it at storage in a VMware ESXi lab environment. All virtual disk
files gets
corrupted when changes are made within the files (when running the
machine that is).

The "sad" thing is that I've created about ~200Gb of random data in
large files and
even modified those files without any problem (using dd with skip and
conv=notrunc options).
I've copied the files within the pool and over the network on all
network interfaces
on the machine - without problems.

It's just those .vmdk files that gets corrupted.

The hardware is an Opteron desktop machine with a SIL3114 sata
interface. Personally I have exactly
the same interface at home with the same setup without problem. Only the
other hardware differs (disks and so on).

The disks are WD7500AACS, which is those with variable rotation speed
5400-7200. Could it
be the disks? Could it be the disk controller or the rest of the
hardware?? I should mention that the
controller has been flashed with a non-raid bios.

I could provide more information if needed! Is there anyone that have
any ideas or suggestions?

Some output:

bash-3.00# zpool status -vx
  pool: testing
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
        corruption.  Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
        entire pool from backup.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
 scrub: scrub completed with 1 errors on Wed Sep 24 16:59:13 2008
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        testing     ONLINE       0     0    16
          mirror    ONLINE       0     0    16
            c0d1    ONLINE       0     0    51
            c1d1    ONLINE       0     0    54

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

        /testing/ZFS-problem/ZFS-problem-flat.vmdk

Regards

Mikael