Okay, after doing some testing, it appears that the issue is on the ZFS side.
I fiddled around a while with options on the areca card, and never got any
better performance results than my first test. So, my best out of the raidz2 is
42 mb/s write and 43 mb/s read.  I also tried turning off crc's (not how I'd
run production, but for testing), and got no performance gain.

After fiddling with options, I destroyed my zfs & zpool, and tried some
single-drive bits.   I simply used newfs to create filesystems on single
drives, mounted them, and ran some single-drive bonnie++ tests.  On a single
drive, I got 50 mb/sec write & 70 mb/sec read.   I also tested two benchmarks
on two drives simultaneously, and on each of the tests, the result dropped by
about 2mb/sec, so I got a combined 96 mb/sec write & 136 mb/sec read with two
separate UFS filesystems on two separate disks.

So.... next steps?

--ross