On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 4:02 PM, Marcus Sundman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So, is it possible to create a 5 * 1 TB raidz with 4 disks (i.e., with
> one disk offline)? In that case I could use one of the 1 TB disks as

The official answer is no, but it might be possible to fool Solaris
into letting you do it. I haven't tired this, so I don't know if it'll
work.

1. Create a sparse file on an existing filesystem. The size should be
the same as your disks.
2. Create the raidz with 4 of the drives and the sparse file.
3. Export the zpool.
4. Delete the sparse file
5. Import the zpool. It should come up as degraded, since one of its
vdevs is missing.
6. Copy your files onto the zpool.
7. replace the file vdev with the 5th disk.

Like I said, I haven't tried this but it might work. I'd love to hear
if it does.

-B

--
Brandon High : [EMAIL PROTECTED]