On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 5:19 PM, Erik Trimble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> To make Will's argument more succinct (<wink>), with a NetApp, undetectable
> (by the NetApp) errors can be introduced at the HBA and transport layer (FC
> Switch, slightly damage cable) levels.   ZFS will detect such errors, and
> fix them (if properly configured). NetApp has no such ability.
>
> Also, I'm not sure that a NetApp (or EMC) has the ability to find bit-rot.
>  That is, they can determine if a block is written correctly, but I don't
> know if they keep the block checksum around permanently, and, how redundant
> that stored block checksum is.  If they don't permanently write the block
> checksum somewhere, then the NetApp has no way to determine if a READ block
> is OK, and hasn't suffered from bit-rot (aka disk block failure).  And, if
> it's not either multiply stored, then they have the potential to lose the
> ability to do READ verification.  Neither are problems of ZFS.
>

> In many of my production environments, I've got at least 2 different FC
> switches between my hosts and disks.  And, with longer cables, comes more of
> the chance that something gets bent a bit too much. Finally, HBAs are not
> the most reliable things I've seen (sadly).

* NetApp's block-appended checksum approach appears similar but is in fact
much stronger. Like many arrays, NetApp formats its drives with 520-byte
sectors. It then groups them into 8-sector blocks: 4K of data (the WAFL
filesystem blocksize) and 64 bytes of checksum. When WAFL reads a block it
compares the checksum to the data just like an array would, but there's a
key difference: it does this comparison after the data has made it through
the I/O path, so it validates that the block made the journey from platter
to memory without damage in transit. *
**